Congratulations! After decades of hard work, a long career and efforts spent saving money, retirement has finally arrived. You have all the time in the world to see friends and family, and spend time on hobbies, volunteering, or worldwide travel.
But although you may be happy in retirement, ageism exists, and misconceptions about seniors and retirees exist. To help make a mark, a recent article from USNews.com shares five ways seniors can make a positive impact on their environment:
1. Be positive – Focusing on the negatives brings yourself, and others, down. To put people in a better mood, be positive.
2. Listen – It is human nature to want to speak about themselves, but when someone listens to others without speaking, that goes a long way.
3. Don’t judge – Another trait of being human is looking at others and making judgments about their character. No one can ever know the mind of another person, so it’s best to avoid judging them.
4. Be charitable- Whether it’s with your time or money, being charitable means helping out those less fortunate, and giving them support and encouragement.
5. Live it – ‘Do as I say, not as I do’ is not an ideal attitude to win over fans, according to USNews.com. Instead, think of yourself as a role model.
What do you think about these tips? Do you already practice them at home or in your assisted living community? Tell us about it in the comment section below: