The elderly need help on a daily level to maintain dignity and independence. Often, it's up to a legion of volunteers to keep senior's hopes and aspirations high .
According to the Uxbridge Gazette, the 8 most important ways to maintain a high spirit among the elderly, are:
- Help out with day-to-day efforts like shopping and gardening.
- Provide social contact through a handy person service and advocate.
- Help the elderly keep fit both physically and mentally.
- Sit with them in waiting areas, get them a cup of tea or help them with basic toileting.
- Refer people to hospitals, district nurses and social services.
- Help elderly people stay out of hospital by providing support in their homes, through visits.
- Ensure they claim all the benefits to which they are entitled
- Help them to drop-in centers for a bite to eat, social interaction, through special classes like flower arranging, playing board games, or taking part in armchair aerobics.