One of the toughest challenges in sales is keeping you and your team motivated to sell and be positive when occupancies are down and your pipeline of prospects is running low.
How do you encourage others to do more and better in a recession or declining economy when all the news can be so depressing around the globe?
Everyone can have an off day where they just don’t feel like getting up and going to work. This is especially true once summer comes to an end and fall weather takes over. It’s a common ailment as we see absences increase due to the common cold or flu season settling in around us.
Here are 10 quick tips to help you and your team stay focused and on track:
- Take time to unwind after a stressful day or week – try an hour of yoga or go for a brisk walk.
- Treat yourself to a favourite past-time – get a massage, go hit a bucket of balls or sneak a forbidden snack like a banana split or box of Oreo’s. They say “when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!” (This last one is my personal favourite.)
- Look after your inner health – morning meditation or before bed to restore your mental or spiritual balance.
- Look after your physical body – exercise regularly at the gym and get a good night’s sleep.
- Avoid artificial stimulants – reduce your caffeine intake and don’t rely on sleeping aids.
- Extend the occasional weekend – with all the long hours you put in, try booking a non-statutory 3-day long weekend with family or friends and don’t neglect your significant other.
- Retreats – take the team away from the office for a day or an afternoon to refresh and do some team-building. Don’t forget to have some fun within the 9 to 5 schedule, as well.
- Conduct one-on-ones – weekly coaching sessions will help individual team members handle new challenges and deal with recurring issues in the sales cycle.
- Conduct weekly team meetings – incorporate mini-training sessions on personal selling skills to keep your team learning and growing. Remember to acknowledge successes!
- Review what you love about your facility, the team, the residents, what makes you stand apart from the competition, and most importantly, why you got into the senior living industry to begin with.
Still have questions? I’ve conducted numerous workshops and retreats. Feel free to contact me in person via email to [email protected] or telephone me at 604.984.7445 and I’ll give you 20% off your first workshop fee with me! Offer good until December 1st, 2011.