Retirement Homes Questions and Answers

Moving from BC to AB

I am moving my 91 year old mother to Edmonton, AB from Kimberley, BC.  She needs to be in an assisted living facility.  How do I go about doing this?
Care Type: State:
July 2, 2013

1 Answer

There are a lot of things you must find first.

Most important is how do you know she needs an assisted living facility? Is that where she is now?

Her needs need to be assessed. Her budget needs to be figured out. Ideally, her current community can forward her medical requirements to you so that you can show them to the prospective communities to figure out if they can care for her.

Once you have these 2 things figured out, you can start calling communities in the area and take a tour to see which one you like. Ideally she would be able to give her input as well.

Here's a link to assisted living communities in Alberta.
July 19, 2013