Retirement Homes Questions and Answers

Assisted Living for my Ailing Mom

Good Morning,

My Mom is 72 and is suffering from COPD to the point where she can't look after her home or herself anymore. She lives in a 4 bedroom house that has 2 flights of stairs and too large for her to maintain. My Brother and I are looking to help her sell the house and have her move into an assisted care facility or maybe even continuing care depending upon some tests she is currently going through.

My brother lives in Burlington while I reside with my family in Pittsburgh, PA.

What are her options...?

Thank you


Care Type: State:
December 4, 2012

1 Answer


The options are numerous but the first decision you and your brother need to decide is where will mom live?

By you, your brother or where her friends are located?

After you've gotten through that, look at your capital and budget to determine the maximum you're going to need to pay the bills.

Then talk to your Mom's doctor to see what she/he thinks about the type of medical care she's going to need over the next two years.

Then use websites that provide you information about the places where you want your Mom to live and then go visit a few.  Make sure you see some high end and low end price locations.

After the first few tours, you'll know what you want and what you don't want and then negotiate for the best deal you can get.

Good luck in your search.  Please contact me if you I can help point you in the direction of some great retirement community operators.  blair at retirementhomes dot com.

Blair Carey
February 1, 2013